Need a main dish that is both yummy and plant-based? Well, this hearty vegan chickpea loaf featuring our organic dairy-free Caesar Dressing is primed to be the star of any holiday gathering. Slather it with a simple miso gravy for a rich and savory umami flavor.
- ⅓ cup Mother Raw Caesar Dressing
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 2 ribs celery, chopped fine
- 4 ozs. Cremini mushrooms, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (Tip: Keep the water from chickpeas to make chocolate mousse desert)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup panko
For the miso gravy:
- 2 ½ tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp miso paste, yellow
- ½ tbsp tamari
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and pour in a splash of olive oil. Once hot, add in the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Sauté until softened, about eight to ten minutes. Add in the garlic, salt, thyme and oregano and cook for another minute. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, pour in the oats, walnuts and flax seeds and process until a flour is formed. Add in the chickpeas and Caesar Dressing and pulse just to combine, being careful not to pulverize the chickpeas too much.
- Pour the mixture from the food processor into a large bowl. Add the veggies along with the nutritional yeast and panko and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the prepared loaf pan, pressing the mixture down firmly to pack it in. Place in the oven, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the miso gravy. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk frequently until the flour is incorporated, about two to three minutes. Gradually pour in the broth, whisking to combine. Continue whisking until thickened, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in the nutritional yeast, miso paste and tamari. Reduce the heat to low to keep warm.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then lift the loaf out and place on a cooling rack. Cool for an additional 20 minutes before slicing. This will help to ensure the loaf holds together and can be sliced easily.
Loaf pan size: standard 9 x 5 loaf pan used