This cozy and hearty pasta dish is perfect to warm up to during the winter. Our Mother Raw Italian Dressing adds exceptional flavour and richness to the pasta sauce while the protein from Big Mountain’s veggie links and mushroom crumble will keep you full for hours. This dish is perfect to serve to guests, or enjoy it on your own.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 Big Mountain Big Brat Veggie Links, chopped or torn into chunks
- 1 box Big Mountain Lions Mane Mushroom Crumble
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup Mother Raw Italian Dressing
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 300g orecchiette pasta
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Vegan parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a medium sized bowl, add the cashews and cover with just boiled water. Let soak for 1 hour. Once softened, drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender with ¾ cup water and blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the celery and onion and cook until just softened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, chili flakes, sausage and crumble to the dutch oven. Stir to combine and cook until just browned and fragrant. Add the minced garlic during the last 30 seconds of cooking.
- Deglaze with the white wine and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook for about two minutes.
- Add the Mother Raw dressing, vegetable broth and cashew cream and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to package directions. Choose Gluten Free pasta to make this meal gluten free.
- When ready to assemble, toss the cooked pasta with the sauce. Divide into bowls or plates and top with parsley and vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
To make your own vegan parmesan cheese, simply add ¼ cup cashews with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt to a food processor or coffee grinder. Pulse until smooth and the texture is to your liking.