Green bean casseroles are a classic side dish for any occasion. Switch it up with this easy, vegan green bean casserole made with Mother Raw French Onion Dip instead. This is your new favorite seasonal side dish, promise!
- 1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ozs cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup Mother Raw French Onion Dip (or use Mother Raw Roasted Garlic Dip)
- ⅓ cup fried onions, plus more for garnish/topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the green beans and cook for three minutes, and then drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Set them aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or other heavy bottomed oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Pour in the olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms and cook for two minutes, without stirring, then stir and continue cooking for another three to four minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the vegan butter to the skillet along with the shallot, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add in the thyme and toss to combine. Cook until the shallot and garlic are fragrant, about one to two minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring frequently. Add the vegetable broth, whisking to incorporate, about one minute. Pour in the almond milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a low simmer and then reduce the heat to low to thicken slightly.
- Dollop in the Mother Raw Dip of choice and stir in the fried onions. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until thickened and the fried onions are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let sit for a few minutes and then serve. Enjoy!