Like almost everything else in 2020, the holidays are going to look a little different this year. With travel restrictions and social distancing guidelines in place all around the world, large gatherings and festive family vacations may not be possible. In a year that’s been full of change, we like to think of this as an opportunity to create new traditions! Here are some socially distant holiday tips from our Mother Raw family to yours.
First up: the food! While you may not have your classic family feast, you can munch on single-serve apps with your closest loved ones while staying safely six feet apart. And who doesn’t love appetizers?!
- Instead of a big, shared salad, kick off the snack session with individual antipasto salad cups like these. They’re simple, delicious, and oh so customizable.
- Grab some mason jars, fill the bottoms with our Mediterranean Black Bean Hummus, then pop in carrot sticks, celery, cucumber, or crudités of your choice.
- Would you believe us if we told you socially distanced charcuterie was a thing? Say hello to these adorable charcuterie cones that you can make savory or sweet, exactly how you like them.
- Make a big batch of our Broccoli Queso Cheese Soup and serve in individual paper cups or bowls. This one will warm your hearts and hands for outdoor colder weather meet-ups.
Quality Time Online
If a virtual gathering is your only option, it doesn’t have to be any less fun than getting together offline. One thing we know for certain about this year is that it’s given us more ways to connect digitally than ever before.
- Play a game on your group video call, like pictionary or trivia! Who doesn’t love a little friendly competition? 😉 Bonus points if you encourage team costumes or ugly holiday sweaters!
- Watch a holiday movie with your long-distance loved ones with Teleparty. It works with a few of the top streaming services to sync your video and lets you chat while you watch!
- Pick a recipe you’re excited about (hint: we know where you can find some delicious ideas) and cook it together on video chat. Then eat it together and compare notes!
- The Mother Raw team will be throwing our first ever gingerbread house decorating competition over Zoom. We think it will be a fun way to bring out our competitive (and creative!) sides.
Traditions with a Twist
Maybe online get-togethers aren’t your thing. That’s okay, we’ve still got you covered. Here are a few more old-fashioned ideas to spread the love this season.
- Bring back the holiday card tradition! Get custom cards made with your own photos or buy from a local shop or artist. Your friends and family will love a thoughtful, handwritten holiday wish.
- If you’re big into baking but can’t eat it all yourself, package up some holiday goodies and drop them off for your friends and neighbours. What a sweet, socially distanced treat!
- Bundle up and plan an outdoor activity. Bring some insulated mugs of your favorite hot drink and go for a winter walk or sit around an outdoor fire pit.
As this whirlwind year comes to a close, think about what you’re grateful for. There are so many ways to spread joy in this new normal and there’s no better time to show your friends and family you love them. We hope these ideas have inspired you to get creative for a fun and safe festive season. Happy holidays from the team at Mother Raw!