Over the last few years, a bad-ass spice called turmeric has been thrust into the spotlight. Packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, this “golden spice” has made its way into spice drawers around the world. While it’s often used in traditional Indian dishes, its newfound popularity means you may also have sipped a turmeric latte or two. Here at Mother Raw, we’re big fans of this powerhouse spice - and we want to let you in on a little secret that can make it even more powerful.
Benefits of turmeric
Turmeric has an active compound called curcumin, which is a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties*. There’s one small problem, though: our bodies have a hard time absorbing curcumin - the active compound that gives us those health benefits.
Hot tip: Supercharge Turmeric with Black Pepper
Here’s that little secret we promised: combining black pepper with turmeric helps boost those health benefits! We won’t get too science-y on you, so stay with us for a second. Black pepper has a compound called piperine which also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, but most importantly: it helps our bodies absorb the curcumin in turmeric by up to 2000%*.
This means that when we use black pepper and turmeric together, the benefits are supercharged! On top of being a delicious addition to savory foods, these two spices are said to both help with inflammation, pain, and digestion*. When used together, their effects are even greater and there’s evidence to show they help you stay on top of your health.
Let’s get cooking
We bet you can’t wait to start cooking with this powerhouse pairing, and we’ve got you covered with some Mother Raw favorites that help you reap the benefits of turmeric and black pepper. Check out these easy, plant-based meal ideas featuring our dressings and dips.
- Our Mother Raw Lemon Tahini Dressing is a great way to get your fix of turmeric because it’s already on the ingredient list! You can add black pepper and a drizzle of Mother Raw Lemon Tahini to any salad. Check out how we use it in this colorful summer salad and this flavorful cauliflower salad, which both call for pepper!
- Both of our Vegan Queso options (spicy or not!) have turmeric as a main ingredient. Next time you use them as a dip or a sauce, crack some black pepper on top of your dish for a little something extra!
- Start your morning off right with this breakfast burrito using our Mother Raw Vegan Queso. Hearty, fresh, delicious, and starring both of our star ingredients: turmeric and black pepper.
- Add some black pepper to this easy baked falafel recipe (turmeric included!) and throw them into a pita, salad, or rice bowl. Add your favorite Mother Raw Dressing and you’re good to go!
- Get creative and try turmeric & black pepper your own way! You can add this earthy & sharp combo to almost any dish - from eggs at breakfast, to hummus at lunch, and roasted veggies at dinner.
Turmeric can stain clothing and countertops, but our top tip is to act fast! For clothes, run cold water (never hot!) over the stain, soak it with detergent, and wash it as soon as you can in the cold cycle. For counters, wiping up the spill right away should do the trick. Always check what’s safe to use on your countertop, but baking soda and water will usually work their magic!
Adding turmeric and black pepper to your diet is a simple way to show your body some love. Your tastebuds will thank you for the flavors, plus you’ll have the added anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. We’d call that a match made in heaven.
Written by Victoria Ehgoetz